Tuesday 9 August 2016

Pink Champagne BCS Dragon Boat team

Pink Champagne BCS Dragon Boat team   (Like us on FB)


2 years ago today I was diagnosed with breast cancer. What followed was 10 months of Chemotherapy, Surgery and Radiotherapy.

Tonight as I often do on a Monday evening through the summer, I paddled on the Stour River with The Pink Champagne Breast Cancer Dragon Boat Team of which I am a member. 22 breast cancer survivors on the boat including a drummer and helm.

At the end of the session I found myself locked in the boathouse at Hengistbury Head Outdoor Education Centre . The lights were off and everyone had left not realising I was in the loo! As I attempted to exit I set off alarms. A night in the boathouse was NOT an attractive proposition. I looked around. Rows of seriously faded buoyancy aids hanging on pegs looked back at me. Maybe I could make a cup of tea? Is there any wifi? Should I panic?

I was (after a short time) I was freed. Outside, Allen had been inspecting a boat with a hole. Wendy and Karen had gone to chat with him instead of jumping straight in their cars and going home. They had the key. I was spared a night alone in the boathouse with only the old life jackets for company. 
I then hopped on my bike and cycled the 6. 2 miles home along the sea front. The evening sun shone and I thought "what a great life this is". 

No comments:

Pageviews from the past week